Monday 11 November 2013

Engine Oil

This is a topic really close to my heart.
I get overly excited prior to on oil change because I expect changes in my vehicle performance after the change.

Not trying to overly explain but here are are some tips.

Thinner oil would give you better fuel consumption,starts better and more better acceleration.
Synthetic oil will last longer, starts better and shears less.
Oil cooled honda shadows manual calls for 10w40 oil. I love running the 5w40.
The honda manual calls for a 12 000km oil change with the oil filter. However, 5000km is the local practice.
Always check the dipstick level and never overfill! Manual says 2.2L and 2.4L with the oil filter.
Start with 2L as sometimes, somehow, thats enough.
The bigger the spread between the two numbers, the faster they sheer.
Between Synthetic oils, they have different classes. Ester based are the best.
Do not confuse colour of oil with its state.
Never over tighten the 17mm drain nut.
Hand tight is good enough for the oil filter.
Go for the longer oil filters if you have enough clearance.
Most honda car and bikes share the same oil filter mount just longer or shorter.
Always dispose of oil properly as with every Litre of oil, it contaminates a Million Litres of water.

I've had tried many off the shelves brands. I generally stay away from the overly expensive ones.

Here are some of which I have tried.
Pennzoil Platinum
Great


Nasa (On my TA200)
For cheapos


Belray Thumper
Just Great


Royal Purple
Rather thin and sheers quick


Schnell UltimateII
Not motorcycle compatible!


Mobil 1 15w50
Stout Thick Oil


Schaeffers 5w40
Fantastic
But sheers at about 3500km


Schaeffers 7000
Just normal


Castrol Go (On my scooter)
For the cheapos


Castrol Power 1(On my scooter)
For the cheapos


Bardahl SYN MOTO
Plain Terrible


Maxima Synblend
Just Normal


Really cant wait to try out the Shell Rotella T6
Its JasoMa certified!








No comments:

Post a Comment