Thursday 18 September 2014

Spark plug wire replacement tutorial

Hello, today i will be writing a tutorial on replacing the caps and wires of a spark plug cable on my honda shadow vt750c ace 1998 equivalent .

Please take note that I am not a professional mechanic but a hobbyist.

So first lets take a look on replacing your particular spark plug wire.

Note that two of our wires are using


Oem  = SD05F x 2 , SD05FGA

I ordered part number SD05FP x 4 thinking I would get better water protection.

Its hard to see due to the non focal camera but the part number is written on the oem plug.
Looks like it was made from NGK.



 Oem and the new plug cover. The difference is a sealing lip. 
Well honestly, both plugs are rated waterproof.

Next up is choosing wires. 
OEM wires are copper wires which are tin plated.
Why tin plated? It is more durable in many many ways.
We are using 7mm spark plug wires. I ordered 2M and it was rather just nice with about 10cm of leftover.
To find your length needed for other bikes,  You can use partzilla.com.

Again difficult to see but OEm wires are made out of about 8 solid strands of tin coated copper wires. The new wires are copper only and made out of 24 thin ones. To give an idea, a scissors off a workdesk would require some effort to give the oem a snip.

I got my wires off ebay from timgreen80.

If I had a re go, I would have bought these water deflectors pre installed. The oem spark plug wires heat shrink was so etched on that you really have to work on it with a plier and scissors. Took me about <10 mins to have it cleanly removed so the 7mm wire can go through it.


Installing the plug cap to the wire just requires you to thread it on. Its like a sharp nail inside of the plug. You twist the wire on it until u reached the bottom. To attach it to the ignition coil, inside is just a blunt nipple and it just requires contact.


 Notice the cap that screws onto the ignition module.



 Comparing with the oem wires.


Finished effect.
Enjoy.


Editors note : I replaced the wires for cosmetic reason and I get occasional electrical shock when my thigh touches the wires.
After replacing these, Bike was a little more responsive.
I wouldnt reccomend replacing them if yours are working fine.
OEM : $240
Racing wires from NGK : $120 from distributor $240 from shop.
My diy $40 SGD

What are the cable tied magnet looking things on the plug wires?
Ferrite Cores which were inventually transferred to the new wires because there was an obvious difference without them. These will be covered in another post.

No comments:

Post a Comment