Saturday 6 September 2014

Uni air filter servicing and removing air box snorkle

Been awhile since Ive serviced my Uni air filter. 1/2 Year seemed like a good idea but my mileage was starting to suffer.
Wanted to buy a specific cleaner but it was out of stock.

So I used a WD40 equivalent and 5 seconds after application, the foam started swelling. To avoid further damage, I Immediately dipped the foam into a bucket of water and followed by a detergent wash.

It wasnt really effective but im sure it was cleaner than before it went into the bucket. I towel dry it and left it by the window. By next morning, it was dry and I applied PJ1 Foam air filter oil. Previously, I oiled till the black foam turned red. This cause the air box to be coated with a layer of this oil. This time around, i made sure every inch was coated lightly then i used a rag  to remove as much as I could of the oil. After which, to the touch, the air filter was still tacky. I read about removing the snorkle from the air filter and I tried doing it. It sounded like a turbo charger especially when it was sucking in air. Apparently that excitement was short lived the moment it hit the streets. It as only responding to very low revs. After which, it felt like it was choking. Im not keen or rejetting or adjusting any air fuel ratio mix so I put it back on. I cleaned the snorkel comprehensively. The amount of road tar was crazy!

When putting it back, I realised that with a cleaner filter, the exhaust was sounding much better. Ive yet to fill the tank to determine mileage increase but i realise that I could feel the heat of the engine between my legs. Something which I have not felt in a while. I think it might be because it is running slightly leaner.


I was keen on a filter skin but the design of the ace is such that it filters air from the inside out of the filter! I read that some riders use panty hose as a prefilter. I kinda like that idea. I might be doing that next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment