Saturday 17 January 2015

Engine oil is something Im willing to splurge in. My bike uses a 10w40 and takes in 1.8L with or without the filter

It gives you more reliable start up,makes clutches be easy to anticipate, shifts better, runs smoother and helps you get Better mileages.

I burned my clutch tackling the hills with rotella t6. And after my premature change mixing my mobil 1 with a $5 top up oil, i changed back to rotella t6 and it ran less powerful. To start it off, mobil 1 felt too thick and sluggish as compared to the castrol power 1(which has low 40deg viscosity)

Decided to try maxima pro plus which i got 3.3L a gallon. Took it on a 2000km trip and she burned off about 300ml which was hardly anything. Shifted beautifully and purrs sexily. Even more whenever I had to top her up with new oil. Amazing how after the trip the oil started to have a an acidic smell and a dark colouration. I know these should not be my basis to decide that the oil is bad but Im OLD SCHOOL. Bit the bullet and told myself the oil will get changed at 4000KM despite it. For the record, I was running the 99% full throttle for 10 hours and my journey to work which makes up most of my journey is 7km away. Surely thats severe conditions right?

I wanted a botique oil. It came down to amsoil, silkolene, motul, maxima extra and redline.

Initially, I was unsure of the price of the amsoil but expected it to be no more than $20 a  quart. Silkolene and motul was $24. Maxima extra came in a gallon and costs $17.

I had decided on amsoil. Getting to the exclusive distributor was a hassle. It was going for $26 a quart. A $30 annual membership gets you a lube and degreaser and takes $2 off  a quart.

Due to the question of amsoil base oils and many who compared them with redline preferred redline, I decided that redline was the way to go. I liked their water wetter too. Some questioned if amsoil had followed the PAO is synthetic oil route like mobil 1 and amsoil failure to address that lost my trust in them.

400km more to my change.. cant wait..

No comments:

Post a Comment